Saturday, September 28, 2013

The Future is Bright!

This following is a reflection on my first trip to Circle Urban Ministries on September 27, 2013:
         
      Before my first day of joining Circle Urban Ministries I didn’t know what to expect in terms of what students I would be working with, what activities were planned and the type of reception I would receive from the students. While journeying towards Circle Urban Ministries I observed a change in the environment, as we drove further and further away from the Palos Heights area. Instead of being surrounded by a predominately Caucasian culture there were people of all cultures and ethnicities, this made me happy to see because as a minority I feel as though I can relate well with other minorities. The thought that I kept in my mind was that these kids are no different than the kids residing in the Palos Heights area and they should be treated the same. When we entered the room and finally saw the students I had to smile; this was me six years ago. The junior high years are a time of self-discovery and acceptance.  All it took was for me to have this moment of realization in order to channel myself six years prior, I was once them.

            What I discovered after Circle Urban was how much I love that the junior high age group can be goofy and light-hearted while still having moments of seriousness. My favorite moment was working with a student on her future goals, how she was going to achieve them, and who would help her.  She had high aspirations that were achievable. She knows the importance of studying for her tests and working hard for what she wants. In that time we were able to get to know each other a little better I learned her favorite movies, subjects, music, and colors. I loved to hear that her favorite subject was math because we need more students that love math it’s generally one of the most despised subjects in school. While we worked in the classroom she flew through her math assignment with absolutely no help.

            The repeated phrase that ran through my mind while spending the afternoon with the students was, “Student’s look up to college students more than rock stars.” This is something that I learned in Education 203. I’m excited to help these students make college or technical school a reality in their life and to answer any questions that they may want answered.  Most importantly I want to encourage them to keep their end goal in mind and that with God all things are possible.

As I continue to pursue my dream of becoming a teacher I want my students to know that despite any obstacles that they can pursue their own dream. I will use in my classroom the future goals chart that the students utilized in order to organize their goals and how to make them become a reality.  

               

1 comment: