Sunday, October 6, 2013

Giggles, Laughs and Good Times!

This following is a reflection on my second trip to Circle Urban Ministries on October 4, 2013:

               Before arriving to Circle Urban on October 4th I thought I knew what to expect but little did I know. A few of us were given the option to work with the 4th, 5th, and 6th grade students; I jumped at the opportunity. "Finally!" I thought to myself  "I can work with the younger kids."  When we finally walked into the room full of 4th, 5th and 6th graders I knew the day would be an adventure! As I looked around the classroom filled with about twenty boys and seven girls between the ages of 8-12 years old I knew that we were in for a journey. The table that I worked with was a group of three fourth grade boys.As I walked closer to their table I could already hear their giggles and see their smiling faces. Here we go I told myself as I took a seat.

         The 4th grade boys that I worked with were a far cry in terms of maturity from the 7th and 8th grade students that I worked with my first day at Circle Urban. But on thing that was consistent is there goofiness and lightheartedness. They could still smile and laugh despite what might be happening in their environment. Their happiness reciprocated to me by the end of our time at Circle Urban I could laugh with them. One of my favorite experiences of the day was when I went  over to a table of 4th and 5th girls that were planning a wedding. I even gave them the ok to plan my own future wedding and they persisted in asking me questions on my wedding colors, bridesmaids, and cakes. They then went on to ask me which One Direction boy I want to marry and offered me their opinions of each one. They reminded me so much of myself at that age and I loved every minute of being with them.

            One thing that I have learned in Education 203 that I felt applied perfectly to my day at Circle Urban is the importance of loving our students. What I admired so much about working with the 4th, 5th, and 6th graders is the instructor that worked with them she was firm and had complete control over the class but still knew how to smile and laugh.
           

1 comment:

  1. It's so wonderful to hear the joy in your words. What a great experience you had!

    ReplyDelete